Thursday, April 2, 2015

Virtual boy review and personal experience

The virtual boy is a strange system that Nintendo released in between the Nintendo 64 and the super Nintendo. It was such a commercial failure that Nintendo stopped production after it was out for less than a year. It was marketed as the first virtual reality gaming system that would make you feel like you were in the game. This was as far from the truth as you can get. Most of the games didn't need to be VR games and using the system for more than five minutes gives you a headache. Only about fourteen games were released for it. The only game that actually tried to make you feel like you’re in the game is telroboxer. You can watch some game play of it here.The only time I have ever played virtual boy is when I was in a retro video game store and they had a demo set up. I played telroboxer and thought it was very interesting. I actually felt like I was in the game and I was having a lot of fun, until I started to felt the headache.  That ruined the entire experience for me.  This system failed so hard that no virtual reality systems were produced for about twenty years. Now we have four virtual reality systems coming out. Well see if they’re any good.
Image courtesy of Nintendo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment